Speak Out DVD to Help Recognise and deal with School Bullying.
A DVD Resource to help recognise, tackle and deal with school bullying.
With Discussion pointers recommended for use by teachers and students.
Speak Out is an innovative DVD resource for schools for use in talking to students about bullying and the many forms it can take. In acted-out scenarios, students are given first-hand accounts of different types of bullying isolation, being different, gossiping, jealousy, peer pressure, cyber bullying and others. Resolution and coping strategies are then given, with discussion pointers also recommended for use by teachers with students.
1. Isolation - What happens when your group of friends decide to completely ignore you? What happens when you become the outsider?
2. Groups - Examining the group mentality. Why do people pressure others to behave in a certain way?
3. Difference I - The dynamics of what happens when people decide to pick on another person because they are perceived to be ‘different’.
4. Difference 2 - Looking at how a person can put up with bullying for years without realising that something can be done about it.
5. The Fine Line - Identifying the fine line between ‘messing about’ and bullying.
6. Behind Your Back - Examining the damaging effects of spreading rumours.
7. The Psychologist - A senior psychologist from the HSE outlines the best ways to avoid bullying and how to deal with it if it happens: ‘Expose the bully, break the silence.’
8. Jealousy - What are the issues that can arise when a group of girls start secondary school?
9. Relationships - Examining the pressures involved in relationships. What happens when control becomes a problem? (Contains material suitable only for senior cycle.)
10. The Entertainer - It’s hard to say you’re being bullied when everyone is just having a laugh. This scenario looks at what happens when a person is the butt of all the jokes.
11. Peer Pressure - Looking at how people can act out of character, maybe even resorting to bullying to fit in.
12. The One Thing You Can’t do - This scenario features an adult looking back on his time in school and the regret he now feels about not speaking out.
13. Cyber-bullying - Is social networking a friend or foe? Examining how a person can be bullied online and the repercussions.
14. Garda - A member of An Garda Siochana examines how bullying can sometimes be a criminal act.